Through Jade's Eyes

This blog is about the fictional character, Jade del Cameron (www.suzannearruda.com), and the historical time period in which she lives.

My Photo
Name:
Location: www.suzannearruda.com, United States

I'm the author of the Jade del Cameron historical mystery series set in 1920's Africa. Lots of action, intrigue, mystery and a dash of romance. Follow me at www.twitter.com/SuzanneArruda *The audio link (view complete profile) is an interview by Baron Ron Herron (9/17/2009, Santa Barbara {CA} News-Press Radio, KZSB, AM 1290

Monday, February 05, 2007

INSIGHTS FROM NAIROBI NEWSPAPERS – PART 3

Lost and found advertisements are often interesting to read. The reader can’t help but speculate on how the item was lost or where something was found. These notices also appeared in The East African Standard and The Leader in Kenya Colony.

Some ads were fairly ordinary. A hatbox, with no mention of any hat inside, and a cigarette case are not common today, but they still represented the typical items misplaced somewhere. Others were less usual. While today one might expect notices of lost dogs or cats, one person ran an ad looking for a lost mule for three weeks in 1920. Any animal gone that long in East Africa was probably lion fodder, but the owner still ran the ad faithfully.

One lost item seemed too cryptic to be found. It was simply a lost parcel given along with a general vicinity in which it was last seen. Any fan of mysteries, as I hope the readers of this blog are, can conjecture all sorts of scenarios about that parcel and its importance. After all, if it contained something as innocuous as a new shirt, surely that would have been mentioned. After all, a different ad did mention a missing packet containing a suit and an evening coat.

An S-shaped brooch lost at the Muthaiga, a pup, and a gold watch (at the Nairobi station) made up the lost ads December 29, 1920. My bets are that the watch was “pinched.”


Next week: MISSING PEOPLE

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous slaterkid said...

I just read "MARK OF THE LION", and I thought it was an excellent book about a brave, feisty woman. Set in an era of changing mores and the period of a genuine "sexual revolution", even the dialogue is intriguing. Thank you very much for this novel. I look forward to more of this author's work

Mon Feb 12, 10:09:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My comments relate to not just this Blog, but the books in general. I have been surprised by all of the coincidences occuring through my discovering the books. I was born in Chanute (Osa Johnson was my growing-up hero), I traveled to Kenya on a Johnson pilgrimage, during college days I worked in the library now known as the Leonard Axe Library and my mother was born in Greensburg, IN. Oh, yes, and the books are superbly written with wonderful detail and style. Thanks so much...

Tue Feb 13, 06:11:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home